1. Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own joy
2. Submissive to everything, open, listening
3. Try never get drunk outside yr own house
4. Be in love with yr life
5. Something that you feel will find its own form
6. Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
7. Blow as deep as you want to blow
8. Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
9. The unspeakable visions of the individual
10. No time for poetry but exactly what is
11. Visionary tics shivering in the chest
12. In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
13. Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
14. Like Proust be an old teahead of time
15. Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
16. The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
17. Write in recollection and amazement for yourself
18. Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
19. Accept loss forever
20. Believe in the holy contour of life
21. Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
22. Dont think of words when you stop but to see picture better
23. Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
24. No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
25. Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it
26. Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
6 thoughts on “Jack Kerouac’s Modern Prose Belief & Techniques”
very cool…thanks amy…just starting to get a bit familiar with his work…esp. loved the..Be in love with yr life… think that’s a key point to be a good writer…and maybe i would add…be in love with the people/the world around you..
have you read Allen Ginsberg’s “Howl”??
oh…and what i also like a lot is…being Submissive to everything, open, listening..
I love all these, but 24 is a really good one…nice post.
I too follow Jack’s rules — did a blog post right after Christmas discussing them… even ripped off his signature — As Ever, Annie!
that’s awesome 🙂